- “The latitude of Noyack is 40.995N. The longitude is -72.341W. Elevation is 26 feet.”
- “The population, at the time of the 2000 census, was 2,696.”
- The following was found on www.sagharborchamber.com/history.htm:
The early residents of Noyack (mostly Indians, including a segment of the Shinnecock Indians called the Wickatuck) farmed and fished. Their main encampment was Trout Pond, formerly called the Mill Pond when a grist mill operated there. The early settlers were mostly of British decent who followed in the footsteps of the Indians, farming and fishing for a living, and selling their produce in nearby Sag Harbor. In the early 1920s one area, Pine Neck, developed very rapidly and is today the most densely populated place in Noyac. Nearby are excellent beaches, boat stations, shops and markets-cottages are always available for summer rental.
*Excerpts from South Fork Place Names by William P. Mulvihill
In Noyac Bay east of Jessup’s Neck. Mentioned in 1689 in a sale by Jeckomiah Scott, “Meadowland…and a place called Clam Island”. Not a true island; connected to the mainland by a narrow spit. Once owned by the Tredwell family. Since 1988, a 20-acre Suffolk County park and wildlife sanctuary. Ospreys nest here.
A public beach on Peconic Bay owned , in 1950, by Charles H. Foster and Everett C Foster. Foster is an ancient local name. John Foster, born around 1720, was a delegate to the First Provincial Congress of 1755.
Off Noyac Road at Pine Neck and named for H. H. Tredwell who died in 1950, a descendant of a settler family of the 1600s. Built by Henry Hewlett Tredwell, Jr. in 1957.
Once called Farrington’s Neck after the original 1640 settlers John and Thomas Farrington. Granted to John Jessup in 1679 “the point called Noyack” by the Southampton Town Proprietors as his lot in a 40-acre division of land. Now called The Elizabeth A. Morton National Wildlife Refuge after Elizabeth Morton who, in 1954, donated the 189 acres to the Federal government. A nesting site for the roseate tern, least tern, osprey and piping plover.
Once called Ruggs Creek. In Noyac at Pine Neck with a narrow leading to Noyac Bay. Named for an ancient water-mill powered by water running from the Trout Pond into the creek.
Runs north from Scuttlehole Road to Noyac, named because a stone from a swamp “at scuttlhole” was fashioned into a grinding stone for the mill at Water Mill.
A bay, a creek, a road and locality close to Sag Harbor (also spelled Noyack) named from an Indian word meaning a long neck of land (Jessup’s Neck)
Obadiah Rogers probably dammed a stream called the Noyack River around 1686 and built a mill on the spill-way. William Pelletreau tells us that these ponds were bought by G.W. Thompson of Oakland, California in 1847 and he “improved them at great expense as trout ponds and made the area ‘one of the most beautiful places on Long Island.’” Once called Mill Pond. There’s a Trout Pond Road in Noyac.
Indicated on maps as early as 1712 in Noyac west of Jessup’s Neck on Peconic Bay, suggesting that in early times whales ventured into the bay. The bay’s shallow water and sandy bottom were selected as the texting site in 1899 for John P. Holland’s experimental submarines, based in New Suffolk on the North Fork.
In Noyac, opposite Long Beach Road. Derived from the Indian Weeckatuck meaning “end of woods.”
The Sag Harbor Historical Society has lots of information on Noyac including a recent exhibit on Long Beach, Trout Pond and other historical Noyac Sites. Please call or visit them at the Ann Cooper Boyd House, 174 Main Street, in Sag Harbor! (631) 725-5092
We would like to include some more “Fun Facts/Folklore About Noyac” and could use the help of the folks within the community. Please email your “facts” to Diane Hewett (email@example.com) or provide a written account to “hand in” at the next meeting. In addition, please email any interesting photos that would also be fun to share.
We would also like to hear more about:
Bridgehampton Race Circuit...
Noyac Golf Club...
Elbow Tree House...
Old Mill near Trout Pond...